Lee Kuan Yew Scholarship Fund
The Lee Kuan Yew Fitzwilliam Scholarship Fund: Honouring the past, investing in the future
Lee Kuan Yew studied Law at Fitzwilliam between 1947 and 1949, and was elected an Honorary Fellow of the College in 1969. Following Mr Lee's death in March 2015, Fitzwilliam decided to create a permanent memorial to his memory which reflected his strong belief in the power of education.
The Lee Kuan Yew Fitzwilliam Scholarship Fund was established by the Governing Body of Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge, in 2016. The Fund offers opportunities to talented young academics either from Singapore or working in fields with some connection to Singapore and in so doing promotes intellectual exchange between Singapore and the University of Cambridge.
Over the past century more than 150 students from Singapore have come to Fitzwilliam to expand their personal horizons and contribute to their country's success. As a result, our ties remain close, reflecting shared ambitions and mutual respect.
Thanks to the generosity of our donors, the Lee Kuan Yew Fitzwilliam Scholarship Fund builds on these historic connections between Fitzwillian and Singapore by investing in the next generation of outstanding young scholars, and the future of our ongoing relationship.
To date, donations to the Fund have established two schemes to support graduate research, one at Masters level, the other for PhD studies, and we welcome applications from excellent students who plan to start their studies at Fitzwilliam from Michaelmas Term 2018.
The Hong Leong - Lee Kuan Yew Masters Scholarship
The scheme guarantees a full funding package for the successful student for a one-year course. Applicants are also required to apply for available matched-funding schemes within the University and their Department.
The Kuok Family – Lee Kuan Yew PhD Scholarship
The scheme guarantees a full funding package for the successful student, for three years, subject to annual review. Applicants are required to apply for available matched-funding schemes within the University and their Department.
Students must fulfil at least one of the following criteria (it is not necessary to meet all three):
- that their research requires or enables them to undertake part of their study in Singapore,
- that they are participating in an academic project involving collaboration between Cambridge University and a university in Singapore,
- that their academic research is clearly related to areas of research close to the interests of Lee Kuan Yew and the future development of Singapore.
Student scholarships supported by the Fund will be open to applicants regardless of nationality or subject, so long as they accord with the stated requirements.
How to Apply
Applications for both the Masters and PhD scholarships open on 1 October 2017, and candidates must submit their applications for the LKY Masters/PhD Scholarship and University of Cambridge funding by no later than 6 December 2017.
1. are required to apply to the University for a place on their course of choice before they can apply for the LKY Masters/PhD Scholarships;
2. are required to apply for University funding;
3. may apply to any of the University's colleges as their first choice. Scholarship winners will be required to transfer College membership to Fitzwilliam College before the start of their course; and
4. must also send a PDF copy of their University application form to email@example.com
Referees will be contacted by the College after the closing date.
Shortlisted candidates will be notified in January, with interviews to be held (in person, or via Skype) in March 2018.