Fitzwilliam is one of the more modern colleges within the University of Cambridge, and enjoys a large and tranquil site within ten minutes' cycle ride of all the major Faculties and Departments. Fitzwilliam's beautiful gardens, enclosed by student accommodation, are one of Cambridge's best-kept secrets.
Fitzwilliam began in 1869 as a non-collegiate institution, providing Cambridge education to undergraduates who were unable to afford membership of a college. Teaching was organized from a handsome house opposite the Fitzwilliam Museum. Fitzwilliam House (as it was then called) moved into new buildings on its present site in 1963, received its Royal Charter in 1966 and became Fitzwilliam College.
The College is built in the grounds of The Grove, a splendid Regency house which is itself now part of the College. The first student residences and the distinctive Hall Building, designed by Sir Denys Lasdun, were completed in 1966. They were followed by New Court and Wilson Court, and the award-winning Chapel designed by Sir Richard MacCormac. More recently, awards have been won by Gatehouse Court and the Auditorium, designed by Allies and Morrison. The new Library & IT Centre, designed by Edward Cullinan Architects, opened in January 2010 and completes the College site.