Professor David Cardwell is Professor of Superconducting Engineering in the Department of Engineering, where he is Head of Department. Professor Cardwell leads the Bulk Superconductor research group at Cambridge on the processing and applications of bulk high temperature superconductors, which can be used to generate very high magnetic fields. He is Treasurer of the European Society of Applied Superconductivity (ESAS) and a board member of a number of international journals and conferences. He has authored over 300 technical papers and patents, and currently holds the world record for the largest magnetic field ever generated by a bulk superconductor. Professor Cardwell has been a Fellow of Fitzwilliam since 1993, including Admissions Tutor for Sciences (1999-2011) and has been a member of the Tutorial, Education and Communications Committees. He is actively involved in the recruitment of overseas undergraduates for the sciences, and particularly from the Far East. He was elected to a Fellowship of the Royal Academy of Engineering in 2012 in recognition of his contribution to the development of superconducting materials for engineering applications.
David teaches on Parts I and II of the Engineering Tripos, including Exposition (IA), Bicycle Design (IIA) and Electrical and Nano Materials (IIB).
The processing and characterisation of single grain bulk high temperature superconductors for high field engineering applications.
1. Durrell, J. H., Dennis, A. R., Jaroszynski, J., Ainslie, M. D., Palmer, K. G. B., Shi, Y.-H., Campbell, A. M., Hull, J., Strasik, M., Hellstrom, E. E. and Cardwell, D. A., Trapped Field of 17.6 T in Melt-Processed, Bulk Gd-Ba-Cu-O Reinforced with Shrink-Fit Steel, Supercond. Sci. Technol.,27, 082001, 2014.
2. Zhai, W., Shi, Y.-H., Durrell, J. H., Dennis, A. R., Zhang, Z. and Cardwell, D. A., The Processing and Properties of Bulk Y-Ba-Cu-O Superconductors Fabricated from Precursor Pellets Containing a Graded CeO2 Composition, J. Crys. Growth and Des., 15, 907, 2015.
3.Shi, Y.-H., Kumer, N. D., Wang, M., Durrell, J. H., Dennis, A. R. and Cardwell, D. A., A Reliable Method for Recycling (RE)=Ba-Cu-O (RE: Sm, Gd, Y) Bulk Superconductors, J. Amer. Ceram. Soc., 98, 2760, 2015.
4. Kumar, N. D., Shi, Y.-H., Dennis, A. R., Durrell, J. H and Cardwell, D. A., An Improved Top Seeded Infiltration and Growth Method for the Fabrication of Y-Ba-CuO Bulk Superconductors, in press J. Eu. Ceram. Soc., 36, 615, 2016.
5. Shi, Y.-H., Kumer, N. D., Hari Babu N., Zhao, W., Durrell, J. H., Dennis, A. R. and Cardwell, D. A., The use of Buffer Pellets to Pseudo Hot Seed (RE)-Ba-Cu-O-(Ag) Single Grain Bulk Superconductors, Supercond. Sci. Technol., 29, 015010, 2016.
6. Ainslie, M. D., Zou, J., Mochizuki,H., Fujishiro, H., Shi, Y-H., Dennis A. R. and Cardwell D. A., Pulsed Field Magnetization of 0°-0° and 45°-45° Bridge-Seeded Y-Ba-Cu-O Bulk Superconductors, Supercond. Sci. Technol., 29, 125002, 2016.
7. Kumar, N. D., Shi, Y.-H., Palmer, K. G., Dennis, A. R., Durrell, J. H and Cardwell, D. A., Control of Y-211 Content in Bulk YBCO Superconductors Fabricated by a Buffer-aided, Top Seeded Infiltration and Growth Melt Process, Supercond. Sci. Technol., 29, 034007, 2016.
8. Congreve, J. V. J., Shi, Y.H, Dennis, A. R., Durrell, J. H. and Cardwell, D. A., Microstructure and Composition of Primary and Recycled Single Grains of YBCO, GdBCO-Ag and SmBCO-Ag Bulk Superconductors, J. Am. Ceram. Soc., doi:10.1111/jace.14315, 2016.
9. Kumar, N. D., Shi, Y.-H., Palmer, K. G., Dennis, A. R., Durrell, J. H and Cardwell, D. A., A Novel, Two-step Top Seeded Infiltration and Growth Process for the Fabrication of Single Grain, Bulk (RE)BCO Superconductors, submitted to Physica C, 2016.
10. Vanderbemden, P., Cardwell, D. A., Freyhardt, H. C. and Vanderheyden, B., Processing and Applications of (RE)BCO and MgB2 Bulk Superconductors: An Introduction to the Special Issue, Supercond. Sci. Technol., 060302, 29, 2016.