Student shots

International students

The University of Cambridge International Students website provides information on arrival, orientation, and healthcare in the UK, as well as visa and immigration advice. It also publishes an International Students Guide to Cambridge.

University of Cambridge International Students website

provides information on:


Following a successful visa application, most students will be issued an entry permit in their passport to allow travel to the UK. The visa, in the form of Biometric Residence permit (BRP) will need to be collected after arrival in the UK. To collect the visa at the University you will need to use a specific code in the relevant section of your visa application. More information. All Tier 4 students will need to bring their passport and visa to the College Tutorial office for scanning, during their first few days in Cambridge. New students with any other type of visa, must also present their documents to the Tutorial office.

Other Useful links

Police Registration

For those nationals who require it Police Registration will be available in the University Centre on four days at the beginning of the academic year. For those not able to register during those four days, appointments can be made individually at the police station.

Healthcare in the UK

The National Health Service (NHS) is the UK’s state healthcare system providing a wide range of health care services including appointments with a doctor, hospital treatment and dental care. 

Tier 4 students - NHS surcharge

All those subject to immigration control and coming to the UK for 6 months or longer will pay an NHS surcharge as part of their visa application fee.

Students will be required to pay a health surcharge per year of leave granted on their visa under the immigration rules. The surcharge is also applied to Tier 4 dependants.

The surcharge entitles Tier 4 students to access free NHS care in the UK, including at the doctor's surgery (known as General Practitioner or GP), a Healthcare Centre or in a hospital. You may need to pay for dental and optical treatment as well as medicine prescribed by the doctor and collected from a pharmacy. You may also be charged for particularly expensive discretionary treatments.

Full Information is available on the International Students Website.

EEA nationals

Non-UK European Economic Area (EEA) nationals and their family should obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) before coming to the UK

All students must register with a local GP (Doctor) so that they can access this service. Details on how to register will be available on arrival in Cambridge.

For further  information on accessing healthcare in the UK


Banking advice from UKCISA

If you are new to the UK, you will need to open a bank account. Many UK banks offer accounts tailored to the needs of international students. Banks can take several weeks to set up a new account, so you should open the account as long in advance as possible.

Your bank may ask you to supply a letter from Fitzwilliam College which confirms that you are a student with accommodation here. Letters of this type can be obtained from the Tutorial Office with a few days’ notice. Please use the letter request form.