Rents & contracts
Accommodation rent is charged at the start of each term, for 13 weeks. Rents are shown below on a per-week basis, and include heating, lighting, water, electricity and internet connection. In addition, a kitchen fixed charge applies to all students, but varies depending on location.
Students are exempt from council tax, but couples in College accommodation may be liable if one of the couple is not able to prove exemption from payment. A non-British spouse or dependent is also usually exempt. The City Council website provides more information and details on how to apply for exemption.
Rents - academic year 2015-2016
- Fully en-suite - these rooms will have their own toilet, washbasin and shower or bath.
- Own Shower - these rooms have their own shower and usually washbasin. Toilet facilities are shared with other rooms.
- Standard - these room do not have their own toilets or showers. Some rooms have their own washbasins
- Kitchens - all rooms have access to a shared kitchen
- Self-Contained Single Flat - these rooms have a kitchenette, as well as an en-suite bathroom
- Room size - within each category, the cheaper rooms will be smaller
What is included in the rent
- Fully furnished room, with bed, desk, chair and storage space
- Ensuite or shared washing and toilet facilities
- Use of shared kitchen space (self-contained flat has own kitchenette)
- Heating, power and lighting to agreed College standards
- Daily cleaning of common ares and weekly cleaning of bedrooms
- IT services via the College network, with a free quarterly data allowance of 100GB (additional usage will be charges at £0.33 per GB)
- Basic cover for Personal Possessions Insurance.
- The right to use shared laundry facilities (charges apply for use of these)
Variation in room rents of the same room type is usually due to size.
Rooms on the main College site
- Standard - £97 - £123 per week
- Standard - extra large - £125.50 - £133.50 per week
- With own shower - £123 - £133.50 per week
- Fully en-suite - £125.50 per week (note only 1 small room available)
Rooms at Glisson Road
- Fully en suite - Small/Medium - £123 - £131 per week
- Fully en suite - Medium/Large - £130.50 - £141 per week
- Fully en suite - Extra Large - £141 - £143 per week
Rooms in College houses and hostels near to Fitzwilliam College
- Standard - Small/Medium - £101.50 - £107.50 per week
- Standard - Medium/Large - £113 - £120 per week
- Standard - Extra Large - £120
- With own shower - Small/Medium - £120 - £131.00
- Fully en suite - Small/Medium - £131 per week
- Fully en suite - Medium/Large - £133.50 - £141 per week
- Fully en suite - Extra Large - £143.50
- Self-contained single flat - £152 per week
- Double bedsits (Huntingdon Road) - £143.50 - £152 per week
- Canterbury Street - £166 per week
- Halifax Road and Neale House apartments - £74 - £189 per week
- Larger flats (Huntingdon Road) - £230.50
Graduate students sign a 39-week contract for College accommodation (October to the end June/early July - in 2016 the date will be 2nd July). This contract is for a specific room, but transfer between rooms is possible when availability permits it. In most cases, College accommodation contracts can be extended to September, as graduate accommodation is available throughout the long vacation in the summer. The lastest date for leaving will be around 24th September. All enquiries about contracts should be made to the College Accommodation Office.
New students sign their contracts when they collect their key on arrival at the College. As the room is therefore provided 'unseen', a ten-day cooling-off period is granted during which time the contract may be ended at the student's request. In subsequent years, students will choose their room via the graduate housing ballot.
Field studies, and other periods away from Cambridge
If the course requires field studies (or similar) away from Cambridge for a term or more, a student can usually be released from their contract without penalty. All requests must be made in advance to the College Graduate Office.
ANUK (Accreditation Network UK) Code of Practice
The college is a member of the ANUK Code of Practice on Student Accommodation.