Financial support

Graduate support funds

Your financial support will be made up from a variety of sources including scholarships, savings, loans and family funds. It is normally expected that this will be sufficient for the duration of your course. However if you find your original source of funding is no longer available, the University and the College will try to help. Sources of aid are limited and there is no guarantee that funding will be granted. 

Funding your course

The College has some competitive scholarships. The Graduate admissions website provides information on all University funding, and on student loans.

Supplementing your income

Taking paid work is not permitted. There are only two exceptions. See the University website for more information.

University support funding

All applications require the support of your College Graduate Tutor, so in general, if you find yourself in financial difficulties, your Tutor should be your first point of contact.

Cambridge Bursary Fund - This fund is primarily for undergraduates, but some UK graduate students do qualify. It's worth reading through the details.

Other University Hardship funding for those who find themselves in need of extra financial assistance. There is also assistance with medical costs where it is not conveniently or readily obtainable under the NHS.

Childcare support - The University offers two types of financial support to help eligible families with their childcare costs. 

College support funding

Thanks to the generosity of alumni of the College, and other donors, the College can award bursaries to students according to individual circumstances to help cover living costs.

Fitzwilliam College Maintenance Bursaries

Thanks to the generosity of alumni of the College, and other donors, the College can award bursaries to students according to individual circumstances to help cover living costs. All students are eligible, regardless of fee status. Awards are made according to individual circumstances.

The application process will require you to explain why your original sources of finance is no longer available and to discuss this with your Graduate Tutor.  Awards are made by the Tutorial Committee, to a maximum of £750 per year., but may typically be £250 or £500. 

In exceptional circumstances an award of £1000 can be made.  If a graduate student has already received an award of £750 or less, and their circumstances remain difficult, they can also apply again within the same academic year.

  • Deadlines - You must apply to your College Graduate Tutor at least 14 days before the next Tutorial Committee meeting
  • Committee meetings are held twice a term. See the College Events diary for date of next meeting.
  • Application Form

List of funds that support the College Maintenance Bursaries 

Student Rent Allowance Scheme

Alongside the Fitzwilliam student rent review the College has developed a scheme that pays an allowance of £20 /night for up to 14 nights/academic year for students meeting all the criteria.  The scheme is funded from the Members Accommodation Account and the Student Opportunities Fund with the aim of supporting students  studying in Cambridge on reduced incomes.

There is no need to apply.  <More Information

10th term maintenance funding for PhD students

The College is able to provide up to £3,300 towards the living costs of PhD students whose original source of funding has run out. This includes self and family funded students. Applications should be made towards the end of the 9th term of study, and funding applies to the 10th term only

Students should meet the following criteria:

  • Currently in the 3rd year of the course and making satisfactory progress
  • Original funding package was for 3 years only (including self-funding)
  • Need help with living costs for the 10th term of their studies
  • Expected to complete their thesis by the end of 4 years
  • The funding is not intended for students who have submitted their thesis

Deadlines: Applications must be fully completed, approved by both the PhD supervisor and the College Graduate Tutor and submitted by the last day of Full Term of the 9th term.

Download the Application Form

Funding to support academic travel and research

All graduate students may apply for grants for conference attendance and other travel connected with graduate research. The fund may occasionally support additional course costs while in Cambridge.

Funding to support your non-academic projects

Grants are available to help with the cost of participation in extra-curricular activities including language study, drama, music, sport and community projects.

Fees and funding