Scanning in the Library
This document explains the basic steps needed to scan a document or image to email, using the Sharp Photocopiers in the Library.
- If the printer is asleep, wake it up by pressing the flashing green button on the right. When you see the green PaperCut ‘Log In’ screen, place your card close to the reader (on the right) and wait for the logon process to finish. Alternatively, you can use your UIS or Desktop Services credentials to log in: tap on the relevant field on the screen and use the on-screen keyboard to input your user name and password.
- Tap the ‘Use Copier Functions’ button. You will be presented with ‘Account Confirmation’ screen. Tap ‘OK’ to dismiss it.
- Place the document or image that you want to scan on the photocopier glass, as if you were going to photocopy it. You can also use the automatic feeder for multi-page documents.
- Push the “Scan to email button on the Home Screen on the printer.
- Tap on the address field on the email screen.
- Using the on-screen keyboard, enter your Cambridge CRSid (user ID) e.g. “abc100”.
- Press the “@cam.” button at the top of the on-screen keyboard. You should see “@cam.ac.uk” appended to your CRSid in the “E-mail Address” field.
- Press the “OK” button at the top, right-hand corner of the keyboard.
- By default, the document will be sent as an Adobe Acrobat PDF document. If you wish to scan to a picture (a .TIFF image) then press the “File Format” button on the display, press “OK” on the message that appears and then press the “TIFF” button. Press “OK” to accept the file format.
- If you need to increase the quality (resolution) of the scanned document or image, press the “Resolution” button and select a higher resolution. Press the “OK” button to accept the new resolution. The default resolution of 200x200dpi is fine for most of the documents and guarantees optimal file size. Increasing the resolution improves the image quality, but will also increase the file size.
- Use the Colour Mode button to force black-and-white or colour scanning.
- If you have more than one page to scan, place the next item on the photocopier glass and push the copy button again. Repeat this process for every page that you want to scan.
- Press the “Read-End” button on the display to finish scanning and email you with the scanned file.
- Remember to log out when you are finished.