Auditorium at Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge

International students

Our postgraduate students come to the UK from more than 65 different countries and contribute to a very diverse and vibrant community here at Fitzwilliam. Information on this page will be of specific interest as you prepare to travel to Cambridge to start your course. We also recommend reading the International Student Guide.



Other useful links



The National Health Service (NHS) is the UK’s state healthcare system providing a wide range of health care services including appointments with a doctor, hospital treatment and dental care. 

  • Student Visa holders - NHS surcharge

All those subject to immigration control and coming to the UK for 6 months or longer will pay an NHS surcharge as part of their visa application fee.

Students will be required to pay a health surcharge per year of leave granted on their visa under the immigration rules. The surcharge is also applied to Student Visa dependants.

The surcharge entitles those with a Student Visa to access free NHS care in the UK, including at the doctor's surgery (known as General Practitioner or GP), a Healthcare Centre or in a hospital. You may need to pay for dental and optical treatment as well as medicine prescribed by the doctor and collected from a pharmacy. You may also be charged for particularly expensive discretionary treatments.

  • EEA nationals

EU students studying full-time may be entitled to a full or partial refund of the immigration health surcharge payment if you have an EHIC issued in an EU country and you do not work in the UK. 

Further Information is available on the International Students Website.

All students must register with a local GP (Doctor) so that they can access this service. Details on how to register will be available on arrival in Cambridge.

For further information on accessing healthcare in the UK:

Banking advice from UKCISA  

Cambridge International Students information

If you are new to the UK, you will need to open a bank account. Many UK banks offer accounts tailored to the needs of international students. Banks can take several weeks to set up a new account, so you should open the account as long in advance as possible.

Student certification letters - Your bank may ask you to supply a letter from Fitzwilliam College which confirms that you are a student with accommodation here. Letters of this type can be obtained from the Tutorial Office with a few days’ notice. 

Please use the student certification letter request form.

International Student Guide

Pre-arrival and orientation information: practical guidance on coming to live and study in Cambridge, from an international student perspective.

Student Visa responsibilities

Your responsibilities as a student sponsored by the University of Cambridge for a Student Visa and guidance on protecting your immigration status in the UK.

Requesting a student certification letter

Letters may take up to 7 days.


Latest information and updates from the University of Cambridge.