Part-time postgraduate students who wish to study as part of their professional career development, will be welcomed into the College community. We have a long history of admitting students who might otherwise have been unable to study at the University of Cambridge
Our part-time students make up about 15% of our postgraduate community. Depending on the nature of the course, some students are based in Cambridge, studying and working locally, whilst others visit Cambridge for short periods. As members of Fitzwilliam, all have the opportunity to benefit from the intellectual and social experiences of Cambridge life.
We admit part-time students for the following courses:
- PhD - all courses offered part-time by the University
- MPhil - all courses offered part-time by the University
- MSt - specifically for the MSts in Advanced Subject Teaching, English Language Assessment, Genomic Medicine Applied Criminology and Police Management and Sustainability Leadership. Quotas may be applied for these courses.
- EdD - course information is available from the Faculty of Education
- MEd - course information is available from the Faculty of Education
Contact the College Graduate Office for further information about the College.
The College is particularly well placed for departments on the West Road and Sidgwick Site and on the West Cambridge Site, and is just a few minutes’ walk from the Mathematics Faculty. Cycle paths go to all these Departments.
The University Bus, which visits most departments, stops on Madingley Road at the end of Storey's Way.
Car parking is usually available at the College. Please apply to the Graduate Office to request this. (Note that parking at departments may be very limited).
- Explore the College - maps and where to find us
Part-time students who are based in Cambridge throughout the year may request College accommodation on the same basis as full-time students.
Students who visit Cambridge for short periods may have accommodation as follows:
- MSt in Applied Criminology and Police Management : the accommodation will be allocated for you. In most cases this will be at Fitzwilliam College
- English Language Assessment and Sustainability Leadership students will be send details for individual booking shortly before the start of the course.
- All other courses: accommodation may be requested through the Accommodation Office. Availability may be limited during University Term time
Guest Room accommodation
For visits outside the normal 'course residential' why not book one of our newly refurbished guest rooms. These are available at the student rate, whether your visit is for study or purely leisure purposes.
Our Part-time students are entitled to benefit from College support and provision on the same basis as full time students. Fitzwilliam College has a Graduate Tutor dedicated to part-time students, who will welcome you to the College at Matriculation and is available throughout the year for advice and support.
The College has several funds which provide support for research and related activities, including travel and conference attendance, by postgraduate students who are members of Fitzwilliam College. All of these funds derive from the generosity of alumni and are available for part-time students. The total funding available to a student during a course will be the same whether the course is full-time or part-time.
Fitzwilliam has one of the most active and friendly postgraduate student communities (traditionally known as the Middle Common Room - or MCR) in Cambridge. There is a full programme of social and academic events to reflect a wide variety of interests. Part-time students are able to organise events, or to take part in those organised every week by the MCR Committee. Read more about the MCR on their own independent website.
The College also organises formal dinners, garden socials, student conferences and other opportunities for part time students to join in with College life.