The Billygoats Society was established by two far-seeing undergraduate members of the Boat Club in 1948. Its aim is to provide financial support to the Boat Club.
It has been a charity since 1966 and uses its funds to purchase boats and equipment. In the last 10 years it has provided over £67,000 to the Club. In addition, members of the Society contributed about £300,000 towards the cost of the new boathouse opened in 2007.
All members of the Boat Club are subscribing members whilst in residence and all former members of the Club are eligible to join – on payment of at least the minimum annual subscription (currently £10).
The Society manages ‘Billy field’ (Osier Holt) during the May Bumps to raise funds and hosts a Pimm’s Party there on Bumps Saturday.