Our accommodation
image/svg+xml image/svg+xml

Personal Possessions Insurance

Students living in College-owned accommodation - both on the main College site and in College houses - are covered for a basic level of Personal Possessions Insurance.

Endsleigh Student Insurance 2020

Your contents. Covered.

From 1 October 2020, Fitzwilliam College is working in partnership with Endsleigh, the No. 1 student insurance provider, to provide some cover for the contents inside your room. You don’t need to do anything to activate this cover, but it is important for you to check and ensure that you fully understand the protection provided and whether it is sufficient for your needs.

Special notice

Endsleigh on 27 March 2020 announced the following three amendments due to the COVID-19 pandemic (further information can be found on the Endsleigh Insurance website): 

1. Students leaving possessions inside their room

Students who may have suddenly left their accommodation to return back home may have not taken all of their possessions with them. To support this, Endsleigh has waived its un-occupancy exclusion of 60 days and in such a situation, student possessions will be covered under Fitzwilliam College’s policy for an unlimited period of time during the policy period. 

2. Students travelling home 

When students travel back home they will be carrying important items with them. As an additional benefit students will be covered in transit against theft for up to £500 per bag of possessions. This protection is in place anytime a student has to do this during the policy period. Cover only applies within the UK.  

3. Providing storage for student possessions

Cover for student possessions put into secure storage at Fitzwilliam College for an unknown period of time will still apply in storage. This includes all valuables up to the limits and perils on the policy certificate.

Visit the Endsleigh website to:

  • Check your level of cover
  • Review key exclusions and limitations
  • Check your policy excess
  • Learn how to make a claim
  • Extend and personalise your cover to protect laptops, phones (which is covered in the room for theft only) and other valuables

Endsleigh knows that life can grind to a halt without your possessions, so it is worth spending a few minutes to establish whether the things that matter to you most are protected both inside and outside your room. They are the only insurance provider recommended by NUS and have been shaping their products and services around their customers’ needs for over 50 years.

Developing products built for students, Endsleigh understands that protecting and replacing gadgets quickly is hugely important to students; that’s why they will replace any lost, stolen or unrepairable gadgets within 24 hours of your claim being approved. Their cover can protect gadgets, watches, bikes and musical instruments under one policy—giving you the flexibility to build your cover to protect the things that matter to you most.

Find out more.

Who is covered?
  • Student members of Fitzwilliam College living in College owned accommodation on site or in outside houses.
  • There is cover for returning students whose belongings are stored in approved College storage during vacation periods up to the limits specified in the Fitzwilliam Certificate.
  • You must check levels of cover on the Fitzwilliam Certificate.
Who is not covered?
  • Students living in privately rented accommodation – your belongings are not covered even if you are visiting or studying in College.
Key exclusions
  • Mobile Phones are ONLY insured against theft from your College room and not from any other place in the College. In addition they are ONLY covered if there has been a forced entry to your room.
  • Your bicycle will only be covered against theft if it is securely locked - through the frame or wheel - to an immoveable object in Cambridge (including fixed Bicycle Accessories).
  • Your bicycle will not be covered if it is unlocked, or locked only to itself.
  • Accidental damage is not covered but you may purchase this as top up cover.