Accommodation rent is charged at the start of each term, for 13 weeks. Rents are shown below on a per-week basis, and include heating, electricity, water, internet connection and a basic cover for personal possessions insurance. In addition, a kitchen fixed charge applies to all students, but varies depending on location.
Students are exempt from council tax, but couples in College accommodation may be liable if one of the couple is not able to prove exemption from payment. A non-British spouse or dependent is also usually exempt. The City Council website provides more information and details on how to apply for exemption.
Rents - academic year 2019-20
Prices for 2020-21 will be available in April 2020
Variation in rent for rooms of the same type is usually due to size. All prices are per week.
Rooms on the main College site
- Standard - small/medium - £108 - £112.50
- Standard - medium/large - £117 - £127
- With own shower - small/medium - £142
- With own shower - medium/large - £145 - £154
- Fully en suite - £145 (note only 1 small room available)
Rooms at Glisson Road
- Fully en suite - small/medium - £142 - £151.50
- Fully en suite - medium/large - £154
- Fully en suite - extra large - £163.50
Rooms in College houses and hostels near to Fitzwilliam College
- Standard - small/medium - £117 - £127
- Standard - medium/large - £127 - £138.50
- Standard - extra large - £138.5 - £142
- With own shower - small/medium - £138
- With own shower - medium/large - £142 - £151.50
- Fully en suite - small/medium - £151.50 per week (there is also one very small en-suite at £142 per week)
- Fully en suite - medium/large - £154 - £163.50
- Fully en suite - extra large - £166.50
- Self-contained single flat - £166.50 - £183.50
- Double Rooms (Huntingdon Road) - £166.50 - £176 per week
- Canterbury Street - £201
- Halifax Road and Neale House apartments - £231.50
- Larger flats (Huntingdon Road) - £266 - £271
Kitchen Fixed Charge
In common with most Colleges, the College also charges its members, in addition to the room rent, a Kitchen Fixed charge (KFC). This is a contribution to the overhead costs of the College catering operation and helps the College maintain student meal prices at affordable levels. The rates vary depending on the type of accommodation and are billed termly.
Graduate students sign a 9-month (39-week) contract for College accommodation for the period October to the end June/early July (in 2020 it will be Saturday 4 July). This contract is for a specific room, but transfer between rooms is possible when availability permits it. In most cases, College accommodation contracts can be extended to September, as graduate accommodation is available throughout the long vacation in the summer. The latest date for leaving will be around 25 September, arriving early for a course that starts before 1 October, can also be included. All enquiries about contracts should be made to the College Accommodation Office.
New students sign their contracts when they collect their key on arrival at the College. As the room is therefore provided 'unseen', a ten-day cooling-off period is granted during which time the contract may be ended at the student's request. In subsequent years, students will choose their room via the graduate housing ballot.
Field studies, and other periods away from Cambridge
If the course requires field studies (or similar) away from Cambridge for a term or more, a student can usually be released from their contract without penalty. All requests must be made in advance to the College Accommodation Office.
ANUK (Accreditation Network UK) Code of Practice
The College is a member of the ANUK Code of Practice on Student Accommodation.
- Fully en suite - these rooms will have their own toilet, washbasin and shower or bath
- Own shower - these rooms have their own shower and usually washbasin. Toilet facilities are shared with other rooms
- Standard - these room do not have their own toilets or showers. Some rooms have their own washbasins
- Kitchens - all rooms have access to a shared kitchen
- Self-contained single flat - these rooms have a kitchenette, as well as an en suite bathroom
- Room size - within each category, the cheaper rooms will be smaller
- Fully-furnished room, with bed, desk, chair and storage space
- En suite or shared washing and toilet facilities
- Use of shared kitchen space (self-contained flat has own kitchenette)
- Heating, power and lighting to agreed College standards
- Daily cleaning of common ares and weekly cleaning of bedrooms
- IT services via the College network. Network use is subject to a fair use policy. More information on the Computing pages in the summer.
- Basic cover for Personal Possessions Insurance
- The right to use shared laundry facilities (charges apply for use of these)