Rents and contracts

Accommodation rent is charged at the start of each term, for 13 or 14 weeks. Rents are shown below on a per-week basis, and include heating, electricity, water, internet connection and a basic cover for personal possessions insurance. In addition, a kitchen fixed charge applies to all students, but varies depending on location.

Prices for 2024-25 will be available in April 2024

Variation in rent for rooms of the same type is usually due to size, though kitchen and other social space is also taken into account.  All prices are per week.

Rooms on the main College site
  • Standard - medium - £129 to £140
  • Standard - large - £147.50 to £151
  • With own shower  - medium -  £169.50 to £176.50
  • With own shower - large - £183
  • Fully en suite - £173.00   ( 1 small room only)
Rooms at Glisson Road
  • Fully en suite - small -  £169.50 to £176.50
  • Fully en suite - medium - £180.50 to £183
  • Fully en suite - large / extra large -  £195 - £198
Rooms in College houses near to Fitzwilliam College
  • Standard - small - £140 to £144.50
  • Standard - medium - £147.50 to £155
  • Standard - large and extra large - £162 to £169.50
  • With own shower - medium - £165
  • With own shower - large - £180.50
  • Fully en suite - small - £169 (1 room only)
  • Fully en suite - medium - £180.50 to £183 
  • Fully en suite - large and extra large - £195 to £198
  • Self-contained single flat - £198 to £218.50
Double/family flats
  • Double Rooms (Huntingdon Road) - £198 to £210.50 per week
  • Canterbury Street - £239
  • Halifax Road and Neale House apartments - £276
  • Larger flats (Huntingdon Road) - £317.50
  • Fully-furnished room, with bed, desk, chair and storage space
  • En suite or shared washing and toilet facilities
  • Use of shared kitchen space (self-contained flat has own kitchenette)
  • Heating, power and lighting to agreed College standards
  • Weekly cleaning of common areas and bedrooms
  • IT services via the College network. Network use is subject to a fair use policy. More information on the Computing pages in the summer.
  • Basic cover for Personal Possessions Insurance 
  • The right to use shared laundry facilities (charges apply for use of these)

Postgraduate students sign a nine-month (40-week) contract for College accommodation for the period late September to the end June/early July

  • 2022-23 - Sunday 25 September to Saturday 1 July in 2023
  • 2023-24 - Sunday 24 September to  Saturday 29 June in 2024
  • This contract is for a specific room, but transfer to another room is possible when availability permits. In most cases, contracts can be extended into September, as graduate accommodation is available throughout the summer.
  • The latest date for leaving will mid September, unless a room for the new academic year has been allocated.
  • Arriving early for a course that starts before 1 October, can usually be included. 
  • All enquiries about contracts should be made to the College Accommodation Office.
Field studies, and other periods away from Cambridge

If the course requires field studies (or similar) away from Cambridge for a term or more, a student can usually be released from their contract without penalty. All requests must be made in advance to the College Accommodation Office.  

In common with most Colleges, the College also charges its members, in addition to the room rent, a Kitchen Fixed charge (KFC). This is a contribution to the overhead costs of the College catering operation and helps the College maintain student meal prices at affordable levels. The rates vary depending on the type of accommodation and are billed termly.

Council tax is paid by each household to the local Council. Students are normally exempt, but in certain circumstances will need to apply for exemption.  

College Accommodation

  • Single Students - most single student College accommodation is classed as 'Student Halls of Residence' and is therefore exempt from Council tax.  
  • Single person self-contained accommodation - these rooms are liable for Council tax, but the College will apply for exemption on behalf of students.
  • Couples - may be liable if one of the couple is not able to prove exemption from payment. [exemption is usually granted for those in the UK as a Student Visa dependent]. The City Council website provides more information and details on how to apply for exemption.  If only one person is liable for the tax, there will be a 25% reduction on the total payable.

Private accommodation in Cambridge

  • Council tax will normally be liable if any adult over the age of 18 living at the property is not a student, or cannot prove exemption.  Council tax is charged per property, not per person. (25% reduction applies if there is only 1 non-exempt adult). 
  • Students living in private accommodation should expect to apply to the Council for exemption. College letters are not required for Cambridge City Council.

Arriving before the official start date of a new course 

  • Council tax may be liable on accommodation where the student (or their partner) arrives early. The Council will charge on a daily pro-rata rate. 
  • The same may apply to privately rented accommodation. 
  • This early arrival charge will not be applied to 'Student Halls of Residence'.

Contact - the Graduate Office for further information, to discuss an unexpected Council tax bill, or for assistance with exemption.

The College is a member of the ANUK Code of Practice on Student Accommodation.