Students pay tuition fees, room rent, and other charges directly to the College. Payment can be by cheque, debit card or direct bank payment.
College bills (invoices) are issued at the beginning of each term, and sent by email. Tuition fees for the whole academic year are included on the Michaelmas term bill. Bills are due for payment by the 8th day of full term.
Dates for 2021-22
- Michaelmas 2021 - 13 October
- Lent 2022 - 25 January
- Easter 2022 - 3 May
Leavers will receive a final College bill at the end of their last term, which will include all charges incurred since the previous bill. This must be paid not later than seven days before graduation.
Late payment: The College imposes fines for late payment, so if you have a problem please let the Bursary and your Tutor know straight away.
Items on your College bill
See Rates 2021-22
The following items are billed in advance:
- Fees - the full annual tuition fee is charged at the start of the Michaelmas term (for information about how we invoice sponsors, or for paying in installments, please see FAQs)
- Room rent - termly
- Kitchen fixed charge - termly
- Linen hire - termly, in arrears (only for those who choose to hire linen)
- Laundry charge - termly - unlimited use of the laundry machines
- Fitzwilliam deposit - one-off payment at the start of your course returnable when your course is completed
- Accident transport fund - charged in Michaelmas term only
- Fitzwilliam Society subscription - a termly rate - capped at 9 terms total for the entirety of your Fitzwilliam College membership
Other items incurred during the term, such as food and drink and printing costs, will appear on the bill issued at the start of the following term.
Rent includes heating, lighting, electricity and water, plus computer connection and data allowance, a basic level of personal possessions insurance and weekly cleaning.
Kitchen fixed charge (KFC)
Eating together is a central part of the academic community life of the College. To support it, the College maintains extensive facilities and professional staff to ensure it is capable of providing meals to members of the College and their guests on a day to day basis and on special occasions. The KFC is a contribution to the overhead costs of the College catering operation and helps the College maintain student meal prices at affordable levels.
Rates for KFC vary depending on your type of accommodation.
- Students who do not live on the main College site pay a lower rate of KFC reflecting the fact that they have less opportunity to take meals in College.
Bed linen (sheets and pillowcases) and duvet may be hired from the College. Towels are not provided. To hire linen please complete an online form and return it before the start of the academic year. Linen hire is charged in arrears.
A weekly charge is added to the College bill of all students living in College owned accommodation and allows for unlimited use of the machines.
A deposit is charged in the first bill and will be returned shortly after the end of the final term, less deductions for any unpaid charges. These may include charges for any dilapidations in the room which are not considered by the College to be normal 'wear and tear'.
Accident transport fund
This fund is run in co-operation with the Junior Members Association (JMA) and Panther Taxis. All students contribute to the fund which provides for emergency travel needs or for when injury or serious illness prevents independent travel between Fitzwilliam College and departments of the University. Further details.
Life membership of the Fitzwilliam Society, including subscription to the Fitzwilliam Journal.
- Bills are due for payment by 8th day of term.
- Fees for the academic year will be included on the Michaelmas term bill and must be paid in full, except in the following circumstances
- If you have taken out a tuition fee loan from any of the UK Student Finance organisations this will be paid direct to the College. You must submit a copy of your Student Finance assessment to the Tutorial Office.
- If your fees are to be paid by any other sponsor or by scholarship, the College will invoice them directly. You must provide evidence of this sponsorship and details of who to invoice, to the Tutorial Office before the start of Michaelmas term.
- Late payments will attract a fine of £5 per week.
- The College is not normally able to receive any payments in advance of issuing the bill. Occasionally invoices can be issued where advance payment is essential to the Tier 4 visa application, but options will be limited. Please contact the Tutorial Office in the first instance.
- No advance deposit is required either for fees or for accommodation.
- All students are charged a registration deposit (Fitzwilliam Deposit) in the first bill of a new course. This will be held against final payment of the outstanding bill before graduation, and any remaining amount returned to the student.
- You will be able to do this online via a secure link which is included in the emailed bill. (You will need your University Raven password.)
- You can only use this link when paying the bill in full.
- To pay via Raven, you can use your debit card.
- You can pay by direct transfer from your bank account and the payment details for the College will be included with your bill.
- Bills can be paid by cheque. Please make cheques payable to 'Fitzwilliam College'
- For any other method of payment, please visit the Student Accounts Office, Room V6 Bursary corridor.
- Accommodation is charged in advance at the start of each term on the College bill.
- For students on a full residence, or graduate contract, this will be for approximately 13 weeks at a time.
- For students on a contract that does not include payment for vacation periods, this will be for the Residence period for that term.
- Students staying in accommodation after the end of the Easter term will be sent an additional College bill in early July.
- Please take evidence of your loan and the payment dates to the Student Accounts Office, Room V6 bursary corridor.
- EPOS stands for 'electronic point of sale'. This will not appear on your very first bill, but after that, all items that you have charged to your account using the University card will be on the following term's bill.
- At any point during the term, you can part pay your buttery account. This will reduce the amount invoiced accordingly.You can do this online.
- If you prefer not to use the card, you can pay by cash. (Be sure to ask for student rates and show your card.)
- The MMC is per term and cannot be carried forward. It needs to be used up during the 10 week undergraduate Residence Period relevant to that term.
- Any unused allowance will therefore be lost
- The MMC can be used in the buttery, the café, and when booking formal or club meals.