Around 60 concerts and musical events take place per academic year in Fitz
- professional recitals at the highest level by resident professional ensembles the Fitzwilliam String Quartet and the Alvor Ensemble and other invited artists. Recent visiting artists have ranged from Anne Denholm, harpist to HRH The Prince Of Wales, to Iranian classical duo Nasim-e Tarab, to folk duo The Askew Sisters and beyond
- shows by Fitzwilliam Chamber Opera (in 2019, Mozart’s The Marriage Of Figaro) and the Musical Theatre Society
- Fitz Sessions open-mic night and termly Gin & Jazz evenings in the bar
- performances by Fitz’s own a cappella ensembles Fitz Barbershop and the Fitz Sirens, including their much-loved annual cheese-and-wine evening
- concert performances
- performances by associated student ensembles Fitz Swing and the Orchestra-on-the-Hill
- termly Graduate Salons of music and poetry
- performances away from the Chapel by the Chapel Choir, whose concerts in 2018 ranged from Britten’s Hymn To St. Cecilia to fourteenth-century Catalan songs for Visiting Fellow Sr. Josep Carreras to Bernstein’s West Side Story for visiting Fellow Humphrey Burton CBE
- formal or structurally innovative concerts and lecture-recitals in the Auditorium and Chapel by the College’s own chamber or individual musicians
- masterclasses and workshops
- winter parties and summer garden parties with music-making, where the various College groups share a platform with each other
- the much-loved weekly Fitzwilliam College Music Society Monday evening recitals in the Old SCR – informal and low-key musical settings in which even the least confident musicians, from flautists to singer-songwriters, feel at home sharing their music-making
and many more.
Please click here for the current termcard.