student meeting


Intermission is an authorised break from studies due to unforeseen circumstances.  For example; chronic or acute illness (physical or mental), serious disability related issues, bereavement or other grave cause, maternity leave, paternity leave, or other family circumstances. 

Postgraduate research students may also be able to request intermission to undertake an internship or research fellowship not intrinsic to their research.

The purpose of intermission is to allow the necessary time and distance away from your studies to seek any necessary support, recuperate (in the case of ill health),  overcome any difficulties, and to alleviate any academic disadvantage caused to you as a result of these circumstances.

Intermission is normally for an academic or calendar year to allow for rejoining the course at a suitable point.  Postgraduate research students may apply for shorter periods, (2 weeks minimum)

Undergraduates courses and some Postgrad courses -  BA, MEng, MMath, MSci, MBBChir and VetMB  AND   EMB, LLM, MASt, MBA, MCL, M.Fin, MMus and PGCE

  • Contact your Tutor to discuss your situation and the implications of intermitting - they will apply on your behalf to the University for permission to take time out.
  • You may also wish to consult the Students' Unions' Advice Service.
  • The College Guidance on Intermission for Undergraduates explains what is involved in applying for an allowance to intermit, and the procedure which must be followed before return to your studies can be approved.


Postgraduate courses - PhD, BusD, EngD, EdD, MSc, MLitt, MPhil and MRes

  • If you find yourself unable to study for more than two weeks due to a medical condition, you should apply for a period of medical intermission
  • Applications can be made for medical and for non-medical intermission.  Non-medical intermission includes such things as maternity or paternity leave, family emergencies, internships and placements.
  • Any application for intermission can only be backdated by a maximum of 30 days from the date of application.
  • The University guidance on applying for a change in student status explains what is involved and how to apply. 
  • You should discuss your situation with your Supervisor or Course Director, and your College Tutor will also be able to provide guidance.