Welfare: health


    Local doctors

    The University of Cambridge does not have its own medical practice, and all students should register with a local GP (general practitioner) when they arrive.

    Why register with a local doctor (GP or General practitioner)?

    Lists of local GPs are available from the Students' Unions' Advice Service and on the NHS Find a GP website. The nearest practice to Fitzwilliam College is at 1 Huntingdon Road. Students may choose to register with any practice, but are advised to find one that is near to where they live.


    There are a number of dentist services in Cambridge. If you need to see a dentist, you can use the NHS Choices website to locate the most appropriate one for you. 

    College Nurse

    The College Nurse is Dee Williams. 

    Dee is a Registered Nurse with many years' experience in a wide variety of nursing and nurse education. She sees students with a range of medical and mental health needs from minor illness and injury to support with chronic illness and disabilities, and can also help signpost students to other services as necessary. 

    She is based in our neighbouring college Murray Edwards and offers a confidential service on any medical and health-related concerns you may have.

    Contact details


    Telephone: +44 1223 762 239

    Clinic hours

    Mondays: 12-2pm

    Tuesdays: 12-2pm

    Wednesdays: 12:15pm-2:15pm

    Thursdays: 12-2pm

    Fridays: 12-2pm

    The last appointment is 15 minutes before the clinic closes. Please do not attend without prior arrangement.

    College Counsellor

    The College Counsellor is Mary Cavander-Attwood.

    Mary has years of experience working therapeutically with young people. She has a BSc in Health and Social Care, was a Registered General Nurse and took her Advanced Diploma in Counselling at the University of Cambridge in 2006. She is a registered and accredited member of the British Association for Counsellors and Psychotherapists MBACP (Accred.) She adheres to the ethical framework of the BACP.

    Mary’s theoretical approach is psychodynamic (although she has also studied Cognitive Behavioural Therapy), but she uses approaches from other disciplines where appropriate. Depending on what is most appropriate, she can either see a student for a one-off session or regularly for up to 6 sessions.

    Counselling sessions last 50 minutes and sessions are weekly by appointment.  The sessions are confidential and information is not shared without your permission, except if there are serious issues of risk to self or others.

    Mary sees students at the Kaetsu Centre adjacent to Fitzwilliam College.

    Mary can be contacted by emailing: 

    Students can also contact the University Counselling Service for individual counselling, groups and workshops.

    The University of Cambridge issues guidance, information and advice on various medical and health-related matters.

    Health Guidelines


    Read the latest updates and announcements relating to COVID-19.

    Michaelmas FAQs

    Guidance, based on the current advice from Government/Public Health England (PHE) and the University of Cambridge, for student members of Fitzwilliam College (undergraduate and postgraduate). Updated 5 November

    Stay safe Cambridge Uni
    Stay Safe Cambridge Uni

    The University and colleges have put together a clear set of measures, which have been tested and refined in consultation with over 300 students and staff, designed to keep everyone in our community as safe as possible.