The combination of work and living away from home can be difficult to manage. However, there is a support network set up to help you with academic and personal problems.

Where should I go for support?

Often, the most important thing when facing a problem is to know what support is available and how to access it.

In the case of an emergency, or if you feel a danger to yourself, to others, or are concerned about the wellbeing of another student, please contact the Porters immediately on 01223 332000 who will support and advise you.

If you need an emergency ambulance, call 999 without delay, then immediately inform the Porters so that they can offer you support and ensure that the paramedics can gain the required access to buildings immediately.

Alternatively, in an emergency you can go to the nearest Accident and Emergency Department (A&E) at Addenbrookes hospital on Hills Road in Cambridge.

In any mental health crisis you can contact the First Response Service at any time by dialling 111 and selecting option 2. This enables you to access immediate advice, support and appropriate treatment from trained NHS staff 24/7.

The Samaritans provide confidential emotional support to people in distress or despair, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Phone 116 123 (free).


Accident Transport Fund ('College Taxi Scheme'): An in-house insurance scheme that covers the cost of necessary taxi journeys. The primary use of the scheme is in situations when injury or serious illness prevents independent travel between Fitzwilliam College or College properties and Departments of the University. Another legitimate use of taxis is in the event that a student feels that returning late at night poses a genuine safety or security risk, or in the event of an emergency. The scheme will also cover the costs of a student being sent back to the College from hospital. The College has an arrangement with Panther Taxi.

Minor illness and GP referrals

The Student Health Advisor (Dee Williams, provides a variety of health and welfare support including assessment, support and advice for students with minor illnesses, injuries and mental health concerns; they can also refer you to or coordinate support from your GP, if more specialised help or treatment is required.

There are first aid boxes in the Porters’ Lodge, Catering, Housekeeping and Maintenance departments on the College site.

There are also first aid boxes in the kitchens of all outside properties for emergency use.

Defibrillators, meanwhile, are held at the Gatehouse Porters’ Lodge and in the Buttery/Servery. Find a full list of the locations of all first aid boxes and defibrillators available here.

Covid questions

You can address any questions to the email address, which is being monitored by a team of Fitzwilliam staff. You can also contact Dr Steve Sawiak, the COVID Liaison Tutor for COVID, on If you wish to report symptoms, please do this immediately, by calling or emailing the Porters ( 

If you have Covid symptoms, do not go to the Porters Lodge in person.

For undergraduates, your Director of Studies has a responsibility to guide and support your academic engagement and development. They will be active in research and teaching in the subject you are studying, and will usually be a Fellow of the College.

Postgraduate students will have a course director or supervisor appointed by their Department, to fulfil a similar role. You can also raise academic concerns with your Tutor. Your Tutor is a Fellow of the College whose subject is not the same as your own so that you can also raise any problems about your course or supervisions without treading on the toes of their colleagues.

Undergraduate Tutors and Graduate Tutors provide all-round support, information, advice and guidance to students, including problems with study, finance, illness, friends, family and other personal circumstances. You can speak to your Tutor on any matter: academic, social, financial, medical or to do with your home life. It's their job to listen and support you. If your Tutor is unavailable, or you wish not to speak to your allocated Tutor, you can approach a different Tutor. The Senior Tutor is also available to talk to any student about any issue.

Tutorial Office staff, meanwhile act as a first point of contact to students for a wide range of tutorial, educational and welfare issues, as well as providing support to the Tutors and running many of the administrative processes which keep the College ticking. If you are an Undergraduate, please contact; Graduate students should direct enquiries to


Harassment or Discrimination

The College does not tolerate any form of harassment of any student, member of staff or other employee of the College or any visitor to the CollegeIf you experience or witness any incidence of harassment or misconduct, please be assured that the College will support you in challenging such behaviour. Support is available within the College, from the University’s specialist Sexual Assault and Harassment Advisor, and from external organisations. For a rapid response in an emergency situation, dial 999.


Junior Combination Room (JCR)

Fitz's JCR is the independent representative body for undergraduate students studying at Fitzwilliam College. We're a committee that is elected annually to represent the community to the media, CUSU and College authorities.

Middle Combination Room (MCR)

The Middle Combination Room is the social and academic body representing Masters students, PhD students and undergraduates in their fourth year of study.