This year, Fitzwilliam College will be running a free two-week long taster programme for Year 11 students from ethnic minority backgrounds across the UK. Our student BME officers Aye Omatsuli and Gareth Effiom have worked with the College to design a programme aiming to develop study skills, introduce pupils to university subjects, and provide an insight into what studying at the University of Cambridge and other Universities is really like!
The programme will take place via Zoom on evenings and weekends from Monday November 15th – Sunday November 28th, and will include:
- A talk from the Admissions team about why you should consider Cambridge, and the application process
- Talks from current university students about study skills, demystifying Cambridge University, and more
- A University-style lecture, followed by a Q&A with the lecturer
- Student-led seminars which will encourage academic discussion with small groups of other students, based on pre-set reading
- Various other online socials with current BME students
Students can take part in up to two subject-based streams out of a choice of seven, with the possibility of multiple lectures or sessions within each stream. We will do our best to guarantee everyone their first-choice subject stream but may not be able to offer their second choice depending on demand.
The available streams are:
- Law and Economics
- Social Sciences and Education
- English and Foreign Languages
- Maths and Engineering
- Natural Sciences
Booking is open via this form, and will close on Monday 18th October at 4pm, after which all applicants will be contacted with a decision of whether they have been accepted on the programme. We encourage the whole College community to think about their networks and to pass on the invitation to anyone they know who might be interested in applying! There are limited spaces, and priority will be given to students from underrepresented ethnicities who meet certain widening participation criteria.
If you have any questions about this programme, please direct them to firstname.lastname@example.org.