“Fitzwilliam College is a very special place. Its gardens, library, facilities and buildings all contribute, but what sets Fitz apart is its sense of community. This is a College where you live surrounded by friends and people who will support you in every sphere of your life." – Millie, 3rd year PhD in Italian.
The College has no ‘quotas’ - numbers are limited only by our ability to provide support, accommodation and facilities. We admit part-time students on: MST (Advanced Subject Teaching, Genomic Medicine, Sustainability Leadership and Applied Criminology and Police Management) MEd and PhD. We do not take students for the Cambridge Graduate Course in Medicine, as this is limited to only 4 Colleges.
In the first year you will be allocated a room; in further years your choice is made through the postgraduate housing ballot. Accommodation is available for all years of study. Visit our accommodation pages for more information.
- The College has an increasingly central location in relation to the University's expansion towards the north and west of Cambridge. See University Map
- The majority of Departments are accessible via off-road or quiet cycle routes
- The Universal Bus, which visits most Departments, stops on Madingley Road at the end of Storey's Way.
- Other frequent bus routes are available from Madingley Road and Huntingdon Road
- Car parking. Some parking may be available when a car is essential for course reasons (travelling out of Cambridge for placements for example) or for personal or health reasons. More Information on bringing your car to Cambridge.
- Local food shops, post office and pharmacy are available in Histon Road or the town centre.
- Explore the College - maps and where to find us
Fitzwilliam has one of the most active and friendly postgraduate communities (known as the Middle Common Room - or MCR) in Cambridge. With the majority of College accommodation within 10 minutes walk of the College you will be able to take part in a full and diverse programme of social events. Read more about the MCR on their own independent website.
The MCR rooms have recently been expanded and refurbished. From a comfortable place to study to a cosy area to take a break and spend time with friends, the new rooms provide an excellent environment to fully enjoy your experience in Cambridge.
- The lounge areas are a great place to relax, chat with friends, watch TV or even play board games. Watch out for occasional movie nights!
- Two new study rooms upstairs are excellent for working to meet deadlines, or group work.
- At the heart of the MCR is the large garden room with a kitchenette/bar. Whether grabbing some tea or an afternoon snack, it’s excellent for mingling and chilling whilst enjoying the great views of the gardens. The large glass doors open onto the patio - great for a summer barbecue!
These rooms all come together to form a lively hub for our postgraduate students. The MCR Committee organises multiple events here: cake breaks, pre and post-Formal dinner drinks, academic three-minute thesis competitions, and of course parties - there's always something to look forward to! Still undecided? Take a look inside!
Read more in our news story.