Auditorium at Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge
image/svg+xml image/svg+xml

International students

Our postgraduate students come to the UK from more than 65 different countries and contribute to a very diverse and vibrant community here at Fitzwilliam. Information on this page will be of specific interest as you prepare to travel to Cambridge to start your course. We also recommend reading the International Student Guide.



Information on visa collection
Following a successful visa application, most students will be issued an entry permit in their passport to allow travel to the UK. The visa, in the form of Biometric Residence permit (BRP) will need to be collected after arrival in the UK. To collect the visa at the University you will need to use a specific code in the relevant section of your visa application. More information can be found here. All Tier 4 students will need to bring their passport and visa to the College Tutorial office for scanning, during their first few days in Cambridge. New students with any other type of visa, must also present their documents to the Tutorial office.

Other useful links

Police registration

For those nationals who require it, police registration will be available in the University Centre on four days at the beginning of the academic year. For those not able to register during those four days, appointments can be made individually at the police station.

Healthcare in the UK

The National Health Service (NHS) is the UK’s state healthcare system providing a wide range of health care services including appointments with a doctor, hospital treatment and dental care. 

  • Tier 4 students - NHS surcharge

All those subject to immigration control and coming to the UK for 6 months or longer will pay an NHS surcharge as part of their visa application fee.

Students will be required to pay a health surcharge per year of leave granted on their visa under the immigration rules. The surcharge is also applied to Tier 4 dependants.

The surcharge entitles Tier 4 students to access free NHS care in the UK, including at the doctor's surgery (known as General Practitioner or GP), a Healthcare Centre or in a hospital. You may need to pay for dental and optical treatment as well as medicine prescribed by the doctor and collected from a pharmacy. You may also be charged for particularly expensive discretionary treatments.

Full Information is available on the International Students Website.

  • EEA nationals

The latest information about EHIC cards and their validity following Brexit is on the University's website. 

All students must register with a local GP (Doctor) so that they can access this service. Details on how to register will be available on arrival in Cambridge.

For further information on accessing healthcare in the UK:


Banking advice from UKCISA

If you are new to the UK, you will need to open a bank account. Many UK banks offer accounts tailored to the needs of international students. Banks can take several weeks to set up a new account, so you should open the account as long in advance as possible.

Your bank may ask you to supply a letter from Fitzwilliam College which confirms that you are a student with accommodation here. Letters of this type can be obtained from the Tutorial Office with a few days’ notice. Please use the letter request form.


Latest information and updates from the University of Cambridge.

International Student Guide

Pre-arrival and orientation information: practical guidance on coming to live and study in Cambridge, from an international student perspective.

Student responsibilities under Tier 4 visa

Your responsibilities as a student sponsored by the University of Cambridge for a Tier 4 visa and guidance on protecting your immigration status in the UK.

Requesting a student certification letter

Letters may take up to 7 days.