Year 12 link area taster programme
This year, Fitzwilliam College will be running a two-week long taster programme for Year 12 students at state schools in our UK link areas of Cumbria, Cheshire & Crewe, Hammersmith & Fulham, and our two connect-to-Cambridge schools. Our student target and access committee have worked with the college to design a programme aiming to develop study skills, introduce pupils to university subjects, and provide an insight into what studying at the University of Cambridge and other Universities is really like!
The programme will take place via zoom on evenings and weekends from Monday 25th October to Sunday 7th November, and will include:
- A talk from the admissions team about why you should consider Cambridge, and the application process.
- Talks from current university students about study skills, demystifying Cambridge University, and more.
- A University-style lecture, followed by a Q&A with the lecturer.
- Student-led seminars which will encourage academic discussion with small groups of other students, based on pre-set reading.
- Various other online socials with current students.
Students can take part in up to two subject-based streams out of a choice of seven, with the possibility of multiple lectures or sessions within each stream. We will do our best to guarantee everyone their first choice subject stream but may not be able to offer their second choice stream depending on demand. The available streams are:
- Social Sciences and Education
- English and Foreign Languages
- Maths and Engineering
- Natural Sciences
Booking is open via the following form, and will close on Friday 1st October at 4pm, after which all applicants will be contacted with a decision of whether they have been accepted on the programme. As there are limited spaces, priority will be given to students who meet certain widening participation criteria.
If you have any questions about this programme, please direct them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dates: Monday 25th October – Sunday 7th November, evenings, and weekends.
For: Year 12 students from Fitzwilliam College link areas interested in higher education.