Skip to main content

Funding Your Studies

College Financial Support and Awards

The College offers a range of funding opportunities for students including bursaries, book grants and travel awards as well as academic and music scholarships. For information about the various scholarships and awards, click here.

University Financial Support and Awards

The University of Cambridge offers the Cambridge Bursary Scheme offers to all eligible Home fee status students studying for their first undergraduate degree. The bursary consists of a non-repayable bursaries to help with living costs and are offered in addition to any government financial support you might receive.

The value of each bursary is dependent on household income. Bursaries of up to £3,500 per year will be given to students with a household income of up to £62,215. The amount you are eligible for is tapered, so that those with a lower household income receive more. You're automatically considered for a Cambridge Bursary if you're financially assessed by your student finance authority, so you don't need to apply separately.

Additional enhanced awards of up to £2,100 are available to all students who are classed as independent by their regional funding body. There is also an Educational Premium, £1,000 per year, offered in addition to the Cambridge Bursary to students who have been eligible for free school meals (or equivalent status for mature students).

See the Cambridge Bursary Scheme website for more information.

The University also offers a range of scholarships to UK students from underrepresented groups. More information is available here.

Government Financial Support

Home students usually apply for a fee loan from the Student Finance agencies. Overseas students may have a scholarship or decide to pay the fee privately. The University of Cambridge website provides information on Student Finance Agency loans and other scholarships

University Tuition Fees and Fee Status

There are two different rates of University tuition fee depending on your fee status. Home pay a lower fee and Overseas students pay a higher fee. Some students will also pay a College fee.

The fee rates are published by the University of Cambridge. Your fee status is determined by your nationality and your country of ordinary residence in the three years preceding the beginning of the University course – see the University of Cambridge for further details. The UKCISA website also has a helpful explanation of how the fee status is applied. If you are still uncertain about your fee status please contact the College Admissions Office. The University website also has specific information about fees rates for overseas students.

College Fee

In addition to the University tuition fee, certain students pay a College fee.

Who pays the College fee?

The following students do not pay the College fee.

  • Home undergraduate students, who are eligible for public finance / have assessments from the appropriate Student Finance Agency
  • Home PGCE students who are eligible for public finance /have assessments from the appropriate Student Finance Agency.
  • MPhil in Architecture and Urban Design
  • Master of Architecture (MArch)

The following students must pay the College fee themselves, or via a private sponsor: 

  • Overseas students
  • Home ELQ students
  • MASt students
  • Students not registering for a full degree
  • Others who are ineligible

Fee rates

Students starting their course (matriculated) in 2016 and later, pay a College fee fixed for the entire course at the following annual rates:

  • matriculated Michaelmas Term 2017 -  £8,500/year
  • matriculated Michaelmas Term 2018 -  £9,150/year
  • matriculated Michaelmas Term 2019 -  £9,400/year
  • matriculated Michaelmas Term 2020 -  £9,700/year
  • matriculated Michaelmas Term 2021 -  £10,185/year
  • matriculated Michaelmas Term 2022 -  £10,694/year

Students who intermit/disregard term or otherwise extend their studies, for more than 3 terms (to be counted cumulatively), will be charged at the relevant fixed rate for the cohort to which they return.

Questions about fee payment

See College Bills FAQs.