Skip to main content

Architecture at Fitz

Fitzwilliam's architecture spans nearly 200 years and includes a range of styles and statement buildings. The Grove, the 19th-century house in which Emma Darwin lived after the death of her husband Charles, is surrounded by modern works by Sir Denys Lasdun, Sir Richard MacCormac, van Heyningen and Haward, Allies and Morrison, and Edward Cullinan Architects. 

The college site is open to visitors throughout the year, and guided tours for students and specialists are available by appointment.

From May-September, you can visit our 50 Years of Fitzwilliam Architecture installation. To get a flavour of the exhibition, watch the video below.



At Fitz, we are extremely proud of our buildings and keen to share the narrative of the College's architectural evolution. We have held to major exhibitions to date - the first in 2013 to mark 50 years since the College moved to its Huntingdon Road site, and the second in 2023, a joint collaboration with Allies and Morrison to mark the 60 year anniversary of our partnership with Lasdun. 

2013 - The architects in conversation on their work

[Include some descriptive text on the video content]

Previous architecture events at Fitz

Building Fitzwilliam College 1963-2013: An Architectural Journey (exhibition)

In 1963 the Fellows and students of Fitzwilliam moved into new buildings designed by Denys Lasdun, a champion of the International Modernist movement in architecture. In 2013 (26 June - 11 October) Fitzwilliam celebrated with an exhibition of photographs, plans and models showing the ways in which Lasdun’s original vision has been interpreted and transformed by successive architects and imaginative landscaping.

Download the booklet that accompanied the exhibition >>

The exhibition included a short film featuring interviews with architects Bob Allies, Ted Cullinan, Joanna van Heyningen, Sir Richard MacCormac and Johnny Winter, as well as former Bursar Christopher Pratt and Lasdun specialist Dr Barnabas Calder.

Click here to view the film on YouTube >>

(Photo in film: Denys Lasdun at the Royal College of Physicians, London, 1965. John Donat / RIBA Library Photographs Collection.)


A symposium was held on 25 June 2013 to coincide with the RIBA 'Love Architecture' week and attracted a large audience. Dr Barnabas Calder gave the introductory lecture, 'Courts and community: Denys Lasdun’s Fitzwilliam House'. 

Listen to Dr Barnabas Calder’s lecture online here >>

Sir Denys Lasdun (1914-2001) studied at the Architectural Association and worked with Wells Coates before joining Tecton, the practice of Berthold Lubetkin, in 1937. Denys Lasdun & Partners was established in 1959. Fitzwilliam was the first higher education project undertaken, to be followed by the University of East Anglia and New Court at Christ’s College, Cambridge. Probably his best-known work is the National Theatre (1961-76). He was awarded the Royal Gold Medal in 1977 'in recognition of meritorious Modern buildings and their architects at a time when public appreciation of contemporary architecture is at a low ebb'.

Fitzwilliam's architects: Six architectural practices have been involved in building Fitzwilliam over the last 50 years – Denys Lasdun and Partners; David Roberts; MacCormac Jamieson Prichard (now MJP Architects); van Heyningen and Haward; Allies and Morrison, and Edward Cullinan Architects (now Cullinan Studio).